Wednesday, June 19, 2013

'Ex-gay' leader apologizes to the lgbt community for pain he caused

If you heard a gigantic pop today, it's because of the multitude of religious right heads exploding. And why? Because of this: Alan Chambers, head of Exodus International, the oldest and largest group pushing "ex-gay" therapy has publicly apologized for the hurt his organization has caused.

From Buzzfeed:

In a letter “to members of the LGBTQ community,” Alan Chambers, the head of Exodus International, a group that has long backed “change therapy” for gays and lesbians, issued an apology Wednesday, stating, “I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced.”
The public statement comes in advance of a Thursday airing of the television broadcast “God & Gays” on Our America with Lisa Ling on OWN, in which Ling talks with Chambers about these issues.

In his apology, Chambers wrote, “I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents.”
Later, he added:
I hope the changes in my own life, as well as the ones we announce tonight regarding Exodus International, will bring resolution, and show that I am serious in both my regret and my offer of friendship. I pledge that future endeavors will be focused on peace and common good.

Nice, but you are gonna have to do more Alan. Check out the rest of the story here. 

UPDATE - According to the story, not only is Chambers apologizing but Exodus International is shutting down. I can just see the religious right heads spin.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Actually, from what some other sources are saying, not only is he shutting Exodus down, he's going to be starting up a new group to encourage churches to be more welcoming. He said:
“We’re not gonna tell them how they should live. We’re not gonna be responsible for what they’re doing. It’s not our job. You are not the Holy Spirit. I am not the Holy Spirit. The Church is not the Holy Spirit.”
I think that's really the brand of Christianity that needs to be encouraged. There are always going to be Christians that don't like us, but if they can at least back off, stop preaching, respect our rights to make our own decisions, and let us take responsibility for our own relationship with the divine, I can live with that.