Friday, September 21, 2012

'Gays, African-Americans unite to fight for marriage equality' and other Friday midday news briefs

Maryland Marriage Equality Vote Brings Together LGBT, Black Civil Rights Groups - Lgbt groups, African-American civil rights groups, and Black clergy are uniting in Maryland for marriage equality. I certainly hope we win this particular fight, but regardless, you have to admit that this is a BFD (thanks Vice President Biden).  

Paris Hilton Apologizes For Homophobic Comments About Gay Men And AIDS - Since I posted about this yesterday, I should post this follow up. It's been said that when you forgive someone, sometimes it's less about not just about their sincerity, but the strength of your heart.  

E.W. Jackson: Blacks are Selling Themselves into Slavery By Supporting the Democratic Party - I feel safe in speaking for a vast majority of African-Americans when I ask, "just who is this fool?"

 On This DADT Repeal Anniversary, Let’s Not Forget The T - An excellent point about the DADT repeal. 

General Mills' Profits Rise Despite Boycott Over Gay Marriage - NOM's General Mills boycott is failing hard. 


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

The Colorful One said...

From Paris's statement:

"I was having this private conversation with a friend of mine who is gay and our conversation was in no way towards the entire gay community."

Sorry, but I don't find "I didn't mean all the gay men, just the slutty ones" to be a compelling or sufficient apology. Sure it might mean that she's not homophobic (though I'm not convinced). But I have a problem with people who judge others' consensual sexual choices too (or such people's worth and dignity).

As for "forgiveness," I will "forgive" Paris only in the sense that I will move on with my life rather than letting her moment of awfulness control the rest of my life.

The news about civil rights organizations coming together to promote marriage equality is awesome.