|Tony Perkins, Family Research Council|
The prize for blatant chutzpah has to go to the Family Research Council head Tony Perkins and American Family Association head Tim Wildmon. During a recent AFA radio program, they claimed that God will "judge" America because of the gay community and legal abortion:
Perkins: You and I Tim as Americans have been given a very unique role in the history of mankind to be a part of that process and choosing our leaders, but with that opportunity comes a responsibility and an accountability. I think we’ll give an account for who the leaders of this nation, who the leaders are, and the policies that they adopt. We can’t simply wash our hands and say ‘oh just because we have a pro-abortion president, a Democratic president, we don’t have anything to do with that.’ No my friends, we do. When only fifty percent of the church-going population is registered to vote and only half of them are actually voting, I have some really somber news: I believe God is going to hold us accountable for the death, the destructive policies of this country that have devalued human life and are redefining marriage.
Wildmon: Folks keep in mind the overarching principle here we need to look at is a Biblical one, in that it is immoral, it is evil, it is wrong in the eyes of God to kill unborn babies.
Perkins: And as long as it’s happening in the United States we’re a party to it.
Wildmon: We’re a party to and we are being and we will be judged and held accountable for it, as a country.
|Tim Wildmon, the American Family Association|
- inaccurately linking lgbts to pedophiles (a classic case of bearing false witness),
- employing the rabid Bryan Fischer who has- when he's not claiming that gays made up the Nazi Party in German:
- made an ugly racial slur about President Obama,
- viciously attacked a Medal of Honor recipient, and
- wrote a ridiculous piece about the supposed lack of morals of Native Americans;
- and continuing to sell the fraudulent video "It's Not Gay," featuring the testimony of supposed "ex-gay" Michael Johnston (even though Johnston, an HIV-positive man, was discovered in 2003 to be having unprotected sex with various men). The AFA, by the way, is still selling the tape (seen here with Johnston's face is on the cover in this link).
And Perkins and the Family Research Council aren't exactly slouches in the bearing false witness or hypocrisy departments themselves. I had trouble narrowing the number of lies they tell down to 16.
But the lies include distorting research, making false claims about GLSEN (the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network), which FRC was forced to take back after GLSEN handed them a cease-and-desist letter, and relying on the junk data of a discredited researcher who believes that gays stuff gerbils up their rears.
These are the main reasons why the Southern Poverty Law Center named both FRC and AFA as anti-gay hate groups.
If you ask me, I think that both Wildmon and Perkins need to worry less about how God will judge others and worry more about He will judge them.