Monday, June 13, 2011

How should we handle Tracey Morgan's mea culpa?

For whatever reason, Tracey Morgan is extending a huge mea culpa as a result of that ugly comedy routine he did last week:

GLAAD today spoke with Tracy Morgan following anti-gay remarks made during a recent performance in Nashville, Tenn. He also spoke out in support of LGBT people, marriage equality and against anti-LGBT bullying on Global Grind.com.

During a call with GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios and members of GLAAD's staff today, Morgan committed to meet this week in New York City with LGBT youth from the Ali Forney Center who have been hurt or left homeless by parental rejection as well as family members who have lost children to anti-gay violence. Those he will meet include Elke Kennedy, the founder of Sean's Last Wish. Elke's son Sean was killed by anti-gay violence in 2007 at the age of 20 in South Carolina, when another man called him a f*ggot and punched him so hard it broke his facial bones and separated his brain from his brain stem. Since that day, Elke has traveled more than 140,000 miles to speak in states across the country about hate violence and bullying.

Morgan also committed to participate in GLAAD's upcoming 'Amplify Your Voice' PSA campaign to combat anti-LGBT bullying.

Together with GLAAD and the Tennessee Equality Project, Morgan has said he will return to Tennessee next week where he will apologize to audience members who were offended by his remarks. Currently, legislation in Tennessee is pending that would ban educators from speaking about gay people in the classroom.

Morgan stated to GLAAD: "I know how bad bullying can hurt. I was bullied when I was a kid. I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean it. I never want to use my comedy to hurt anyone. My family knew what it was like to feel different. My brother was disabled, and I lost my father to AIDS in 1987. My dad wasn't gay but I also learned about homophobia then because of how people treated people who were sick with that. Parents should support and love their kids no matter what. Gay people deserve the same right to be happy in this country as everyone else. Our laws should support that. I hope that my fans gay, straight, whatever forgive, and I hope my family forgives me for this."

"Meeting with gay and transgender youth shunned by their parents and families who have lost loved ones to anti-gay violence is an important first step. These meetings will help Tracy better understand that no one should be treated differently or subjected to violence," said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios.

I happen to know Elke Kennedy personally and she is an excellent advocate for lgbt youth. The big question how should the lgbt community handle this situation. I know there are some of us who won't accept Morgan's apology no matter how many times he apologizes or how heart felt his sentiments are.

But I am not one of them. There has been too much nastiness and hate as it is. Morgan's comments were ugly. Anger was felt because feelings were hurt. To many of us, his words brought back ugly flashbacks of being called names, being threatened (even by family members), and even thrown out of our homes by those we thought loved us.

However, this is the time that we show that no matter what was done to us, we have retained our basic humanity and our capacity for forgiveness.

So I think there should be less "screw you and your apology" comments to Morgan and more of ways in which we can come together to gain better understanding for not only ourselves but our children.

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Sparky said...

I'd go with ignoring him

He's made his non-pology now he's doing his empty PR gestures for attention and arsecoverage.

This is all motivated as a cover up. Not impressed

Krystine said...

I am sorry, but the only reason Tracy Morgan is meeting with GLAAD is to save what is left of his carreer. Considering not only his stand-up, the last season of "30 Rock" which is or was potioned to make millions im synducation, Morgan can make millions off of bowing down to GLAAD for a PSA, that is a sweet deal for him isn't it? To forgive him for his remark's GLAAD again is showing why their head is up their ass.

Mechele said...

I think this is a good first step, and if he does what he says he will--being a high-profile advocate for equality and against homophobic violence--he has the potential to change a lot of minds. Let's take these lemons we've been dealt and make some lemonade.

Sage said...

Alvin, this piece you wrote here seems to me to be an intelligent, sensitive, well thought out, compassionate, wise and reasonable one. Those are all attributes I appreciate in people, communities, cultures, sub-cultures, writing and in the world in general. Thank you sir.

BlackTsunami said...

Thank you Sage ;p

Donny D. said...

I'm impressed by the continuing effort he is putting into his apology, whatever it's precise motivation. If he's entirely faking all this, he'd have to be one cold character....

Mykelb said...

I find this kind of apology to be insincere and a waste of time. He obviously hates us and there is no denying it. We saw and heard what he did and that bell cannot be unrung. I will keep my judgement until he makes up for it in deeds which will have to be 10 times over what he did in Nashville.

Jarred said...

Like Sparky and Krystine, I have my concerns that Morgan's actions are all a CYA PR scheme. The fact that he took so long to finally take such definitive action didn't help his case.

Having said that, I acknowledge that he's going farther than most might go if they were simply interested in making a faux apology, so I'm willing to give him a chance. But giving him a chance is totally dependent on him making a sustained change rather than "playing nice" until the publicity blows over.

DC HAMPTON JACOBS said...

Forgiveness may be the Chrsitian thing to do, but truthfulness is a Christian value, too. My gut tells me Tracy Morgan's mea culpa is fake, and I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I forgive him. In the meantime, Black Tsunami, you are guilty of downplaying the hateful nature of Morgan's comments! Jokes about stabbing little kids? It doesn't get much worse than that.

BlackTsunami said...

I think you are very rash and so quick to anger that you don't realize that this situation can actually be us3d as a teaching moment.