Thursday, May 05, 2011

Anti-gay groups to get an huge infusion of money, taking homophobia to state levels

If you want any indication of how successful the lgbt community has been in this so-called culture war, the following item in Minnesota Independent gives you a huge clue:

Anti-gay rights groups around the country will see a cash infusion over the next two years through a plan called “Ignite an Enduring Cultural Transformation.” And the groups are remaining mum about who is responsible.

The campaign, which largely targets states where Republicans won control of legislatures or governorships, has garnered the support of Republican political superstars such as former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (Va.), Sens. Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Jon Kyl (Ariz.), and Rep. Trent Franks (Ariz.). The groups intend to pass anti-gay marriage amendments, curtail abortion rights and, in at least one case, ban “transgender bathrooms.”

Family policy councils — a creation of Focus on the Family in the 1980s — have launched the Ignite plan in 15 states. Each family policy council has a three-prong plan to achieve their legislative goals over the next two years: lobbying for legislation, mobilizing pastors and social conservatives and supporting candidates that have backed their initiatives. Each group has used a stock brochure containing nearly identical wording to explain their plan and to solicit funds. In many cases, an Ignite plan was launched with an anonymous matching-grant donor.

Requests for information from many of the policy councils were denied, and Focus on the Family told the Minnesota Independent that they have no involvement, declining to offer information on any organization that might back the plan.

The article goes on to list groups and dollar amounts. It ain't pretty:

In several states — such as Indiana, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and West Virginia — Ignite plans seems to be targeted at getting anti-gay marriage amendments passed.

 . . . The Family Policy Council of West Virginia (FPCWV) plans to spend $168,000 through 2012 (it’s average yearly budget is $132,000) during its two-year Ignite campaign to pass a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage and civil unions, and also to defeat laws that would prevent discrimination against gays and lesbians.

 . . . The Pennsylvania Family Institute plans to spend $1.5 million through 2012 on anti-abortion rights measures as well as a constitutional amendment barring gay marriage in the state. The average yearly revenue for the group over the last three years was $1.4 million.

The group also received a matching donation of $7,500 at the end of 2010.

 . . . In Minnesota, the Ignite plan calls for adding an amendment to the Minnesota Constitution banning gay marriage; the Minnesota Family Council is planning to spend $4.71 million in the next two years. The group averaged $832,000 in revenue over the last three years between the Council and it’s affiliate, the Minnesota Family Institute. If the Ignite campaign goes according to plan, the group will spend more than twice its historical average in working to abolish gay marriage in the state.

Seems to me that these groups are following the game plan of the National Organization for Marriage, i.e. get a mysterious, highly moneyed backer to fund their plans - funds which will pay for obscene amounts of flyers to spread, commercials to be filmed, and publicists to develop talking points as well as book spots on local television shows.

Get on the ball folks, cause it's coming. Whining about "Gay, Inc." ain't gonna cut it. It's safe to say that we are kicking serious ass on the national level with DADT overturned and DOMA and Proposition 8 slowly but surely on the way out.

There is definitely a lot more stuff to do on that level, but let's not forget the local levels. It's obvious that the other side hasn't.

Hat tip to my Facebook buddy Philip Lowe Jr. for this tip.



Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good. I will give some money to them as well.

BlackTsunami said...

Have at it, my friend. It is America. But if you ask me, you are wasting your money ;p

Anonymous said...

Good, and enjoy wasting your filthy anti-gay money. Gay equality is an inevitability, as much as moronic Teabaggers would like to deny.

Dale Snyder said...

The republican fundies still don't have a clue on how many are walking away in droves. Job creation? Yeah, right. Some things never change.

Anonymous said...

Can you define fore me what "anti-gay" means?

I am new to the site. I am trying to learn more about the "other side" to this complex issue. I am a Catholic and have same-sex attraction, but, per the teaching of Christianity, I remain celibate.

BlackTsunami said...

Hi Brian,

"anti-gay" means groups or persons who work against gay equality by either stigmatizing the gay community through junk science, distorted studies, or basic untrue propaganda, such as the lie that homosexuality is related to pedophilia or the gay orientation is the cause of negative behaviors such as drug abuse, depression or alcohol abuse. Please check out the links to my past posts on the right side of this blog if you want more information as to what I am talking about.

Anonymous said...

So... if I oppose the political movement for gay "marriage" and consider homosexual acts to be immoral, am I anti-gay? I am not trying to provoke, as I said, I am a genuine inquirer.

Anonymous said...

I will check out the links, thanks.

BlackTsunami said...

Brian,

I wouldn't consider you anti-gay per se (not on the level of the folks I generally cover on this blog). Of course I have a different view from you and my view is from a religious perspective. But before you ask, I won't go into it because this is not a blog focused on the religious doctrine about homosexuality.

Lincoln said...

Why can't WE do the same thing? We have supporters with big bucks and Orgs. with money.
Why are these people getting a tax break when they have made it clear that they are a lobby group?
Did you see the sickly sweet ad for marriage in New York.
" We are nice and have been together for ever and just want to say I DO."
How about " Here are the lies you are being fed people!"

Anonymous said...

"I wouldn't consider you anti-gay per se (not on the level of the folks I generally cover on this blog)."

Well, obviously, this is very vague. Perhaps you can be more definitive - if not in this blog post, a later one.

The reason I am asking is because when I engage in debates on this political issue (and over the moral one), I am accused of being "anti-gay" or "bigoted," and my opponents (or, rather, those who shout at me) do not explain themselves when I ask them what they mean. For what it's worth, I do avoid propaganda and try to correct my data when needed.

I'll take a look around your blog and see if I cannot learn more that way.

BlackTsunami said...

Well Brian,

since I didn't take part in those debates I can't comment on what was said. But please do check out the links and at the very least, you will understand the reasons behind the anger thrown at you.