Thursday, May 20, 2010

Peter LaBarbera's homophobic lies reap a small benefit

Peter LaBarbera seems to be in a good mood this morning. Naturally this means trouble for the lgbt community.

The source of his merriment is that his nonsense regarding the lgbt community has resonated with at least one person.

Peter reprinted a letter from a man in Texas who canceled his car insurance with Progressive after reading Peter's post about its support for the lgbt community. The following are snippets:

The GLBT agenda violates my core fundamental beliefs. Please allow me to clarify this … I am a firm supporter of equality; when it pertains to one’s ethnicity, skin color, natural gender, or age. I adamantly oppose the oppression of any human being, by any individual, or group. I am a man of principle and a man who seeks to bring about peace. In layman’s terms, I am the bigger kid on the playground that pulled the “bully” off the smaller kid.

What I am opposed to in this situation is not a person, nor a group of people, but rather an “Action.” An Action that I find to be repulsive and a shock to the conscience. Not only because of my spiritual beliefs, but by my instinctive and natural human ability to decipher between what is right and what is wrong.

. . .Frankly, I could care less what others do in their private time. I do not ask and I do not want to know. It is a discussion that should be left outside of the main streets of our society and confined to the privacy of one’s own home.

However, rather than leave this controversial “Action” to the confines of one’s own personal life, your company has publicly elected to endorse a movement that seeks to promote an “Action” that I find to be unnatural, immoral, and contrary to any teachings I would want my children exposed to.

The GLBT movement seeks to pursue a public campaign, whose primary goal is to re-define what I am naturally programmed to believe. Therefore, I ask you: Why would your respected organization support a movement that forces such an offensive position upon my family and me, with little to no regard for my religious, moral, or natural beliefs?

The letter left me scratching my head regarding this man's ignorance. Then I took at look at Peter's posting which supposedly led him to cancel his insurance.

Just like so many things he does pertaining to the lgbt community, LaBarbera misled in this posting by publishing a picture which had nothing to do with Progressive Insurance being fair to the lgbt community:

There are so many things wrong with this picture. First of all, the guys aren't naked, as the original source photo shows. But Peter is clearly implying this.

Secondly, it is a pride parade in Sydney Australia, having absolutely nothing to do with Progressive Insurance or its policy of fairness to the lgbt community.

But we all know that LaBarbera posted the picture to infer the phony idea that the lgbt community is a danger to the sanctity of America (and a serious detriment to children) and through its hiring policies, Progressive Insurance is somehow promoting this mess when the truth is merely the fact that the company is practicing basic fairness in its employment policies.

Granted, I'm sure the idea of naked go-go boys would most likely get them more premiums but come on, Peter. You know you told an outright lie here.

You baited the hook with the usual  homophobic tripe and managed to catch a little fish.

One more thing - I was reluctant to link to  LaBarbera's piece because he included the man's name and address. I would sincerely hope that anyone reading this post would have the good sense to recognize a trap when they see it.

Regardless of how angry you get, DO NOT  contact this man in any way. The last thing we need is another phony martyr of the alleged "gay menace.

I would suggest that you call Progressive Insurance and thank the company for its policy of fairness.


Call Progressive at 1-800-PROGRESSIVE (800-776-4737) or fax your own letter to 800-229-1590.  (A Progressive phone/e-mail contact page is HERE.)


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Buffy said...

What I am opposed to in this situation is not a person, nor a group of people, but rather an “Action.” An Action that I find to be repulsive and a shock to the conscience.

Right, because being gay is an "action". Ugh.



In layman’s terms, I am the bigger kid on the playground that pulled the “bully” off the smaller kid.

No, you're the bully.

Unknown said...

here we see another ignorant person who refuses to see us as gay people but rather people who perform an "action" I'm assuming some sexual act that this person has decided is the focus, the central defining characteristic of gay people.

Well, gee, if we defined everyone by a stereotypical action we could say a lot of things.

"I don't have a problem with Jews, I just don't care for their action of killing Jesus. I don't think we should celebrate the Jewish lifestyle, it's all about killing Jesus!"