Media Matters (who will probably be sending me a bill) has just announced their 2009 Misinformer of the Year award and to the surprise of no one, it's Glenn Beck:
Now while Beck gets the major award, Media Matters also gave a host of minor awards for outrageous statements.
And again to the surprise of no one, many of those statements had to do with comments made against the lgbt community:
In addition to a sustained assault on Department of Education official Kevin Jennings, right-wingers made outrageous attacks based on sexual orientation:
- Savage: "One of the reasons America is suffering right now is because so many people who are gay have not had children. ... Some of the most wonderful genetic material is going to waste"
- Hannity and "Great American" panelists fearmonger about Jennings "indoctrinating" children, "promoting homosexuality"
- Limbaugh: "[W]e all know that Barney [Frank] patrols Uranus"
- Quinn:"[T]the last time I checked, two guys doing the bone dance with Mr. Sphincter was not going to produce the next generation of children"
- Robertson: Many "made homosexual because of a coach or a guidance counselor or some other male figure who has abused them"
- O'Reilly again claims that if gay marriage was legalized, "you could have married a duck"
- Pat Robertson suggests "ultimate conclusion" of legal same-sex marriage is legal polygamy, bestiality, child molestation, pedophilia
However, it just occurred to me that our biggest strength in this so-called cultural war is the mouths of our opposition. Give them enough time and they verbally hang themselves.
And in this case, a public hanging is just what we need. After all, why keep the craziness of the religious right to ourselves. In the spirit of holiday generosity, everyone needs to see just how crazy these folks are.