Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday midday news briefs

First an announcement: Due to a suprisingly degree of popularity with Friday evening's post, Know your lgbt history - Flowers of Evil, I will now be featuring a Know your lgbt history segment every Friday evening.

In these entries, I will be posting clips from past movies and television shows in order to gauge discussion on how the lgbt community was represented in the media.

With these clips will be a little bit of history behind said movies and television shows.

This Friday, I will be featuring a popular horror movie of the 1980s that had huge gay subtext in one of the scenes. It led to one of my biggest crushes as a teenager.

I hope you all enjoy my new venture.

Now onto news briefs:

Cynthia Nixon Engaged to Girlfriend - while I'm generally not one for celebrity driven news, this is something that should be shared. Congratulations to Nixon and her partner.

Lesbian Mom Nominated for U.S. Attorney - President Obama has been catching a lot of flack on lgbt issues such as Don't Ask, Don't Tell. While this won't negate the appropriate degree of anger over his backtracking, it's still an awesome development.

NC: openly gay candidate announces run for Charlotte City Council - I wonder if he has a partner. I'm still looking to date an elected official. I've got the fur coat and hat already picked out.

Studies: Gay marriage pays big - Hell, I could have told you that!

SCOTUS Round-Up - This issue will have serious positive repercussions for the lgbt community.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: