Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I love my beautiful black people but sometimes I think they have lost their minds

And IT begins.

Miss California and Perez Hilton are now doing the morning news show circuits, no doubt sparring with each other over her answer to his question and whether or not it cost her the Miss America crown.

Why Lord, why? I still think it's a dumb controversy.

And in another "Why Lord, why" moment, I ran into an interesting gossip site yesterday and it put made me think about what lgbts of color have to deal with in the black community.

There is this belief that black folks are more homophobic than other Americans. I don't believe this is the case. What I do believe is that there needs to be some serious discussion in the black community regarding homosexuality. Sometimes those who are in leadership positions in the black community shirk their duties when they don't encourage (and in some cases try to hinder) this conversation.

I also think that trepidation about gays and lesbians in the black community goes beyond that of a religious issue. We are a threat to the ideas of gender roles.

And as these items (and comments) prove, there is a salacious aspect that many want to throw at the lgbt community; an aspect that wouldn't exist if lgbts of color would have more support in the black community:

EXPLOSIVE!!!! RADIO SHOW CLAIMS TO HAVE EVIDENCE OF RAPPER CHINGY'S SECRET LIFESTYLE!!!

HMMMMM!!! R&B Singer Brandy Spotted LEAVING THE CLUB With A VERY BUTCH Looking Gal Pal!!!

LMAO!!!! Vivica Fox Is Trying To Date THAT GAY LOOKING BOY From High School Musical!!!

ON BLAST!!! Gay Community ANGERED By Rapper Bow Wow's HOMOPHOBIC Comments!!!

No comments: