Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I get letters!

I got an interesting letter this morning on my post about the upcoming Day of Silence and the walk out plans that religious right organizations are trying to push:

I have to wonder how you would feel about a day of silence for pro-heterosexual family or pro-Christian family or pro-straight orientation, etc. It's sad that we want to bring such politics into the public school classroom for introctination. I have gay friends (have for decades) and love them no differently than I do my straight friends, but as a Christian I am not supposed to pick and choose which of God's tough teachings I support. I love sinners (for I am one like everyone else), but I do not support sin. God's teachings may not always be easy or popular, but they are what they are. It is amazing that "hate" is so quickly used to attack an opponent when s/he says something with which we fallible humans do not agree. God bless you, but I have to wonder if you do not see your own blanket prejudices against those who don't support your opinion.

This was my answer. It wasn't long (I have to get ready for work) but I think I got my point across:

It's sadder that lgbt children feel so threatened that they can't function to their full potential in America's schools. I noticed that in your ramblings, you didn't have anything to say about that. While I respect your opinion, you take too much upon yourself. Your definition of sin and God is just that - YOUR definition.Lastly, when you use words like indoctrination (as to infer that gays indoctrinate children) then yes, you deserve to be called haters. It's one thing to disagree with homosexuality but when you add an inaccurate inference that gays are somehow engaging in secret conspiracies to politicize children, you are not different than a racist in my book.

To those who have something to add to this exchange, all I ask is that you be nice.

3 comments:

PersonalFailure said...

People like this are the same people who wonder why we don't have a national association for the advancement of white people. Honestly.

Buffy said...

I invite them to be silent as many days out of the year as they wish. I'm sure the school environment would be much more conducive to learning as a result, the teachers would be thrilled that they don't have to constantly call for students to quiet down, and the LGBT students would thrive when they aren't constantly being called names/having Bible verses thrown in their faces.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Bluffy. Glory!