Thursday, July 31, 2008

Matt Barber's crazy semantics

Try as I might, I cannot ignore Matt Barber's mean bleatings against McDonalds.

I really tried to ignore his latest hysterics masquerading as a reasonable column. That is until this part:

Unfortunately, the radical San Francisco-style policies both the NGLCC and McDonald's advocate run directly counter to the best interests of the vast majority of Americans outside California's "Sodom on the Bay." For example, under communist-tested, McDonald's-approved "hate speech" legislation, such as the so-called Employment Non-Discrimination Act, Christians and other business owners with traditional values would be forced – under penalty of law – to abandon sincerely held religious beliefs and adopt McDonald's own secular-humanist, moral-relativist view of right and wrong.

Why is it so hard for Barber to simply say, "yes, I believe that someone should be fired or be kept from getting a job because they are gay or lesbian."

But no. He doesn't want to say what he really believes. He wants to string words together in a ploy to hide what he really thinks.

From political perspective, it's a good idea. But from a moral perspective, it comes across like a something out of The Manchurian Candidate.

The phrase reveals the duplicity of the anti-gay industry. As much as they try to push the notion that they are the bastions of truth and morality, they have to rely on cynical political wordings to try and sway the population.

If they tried truth for a change, they would probably get laughed out of the country (i.e. Elaine Donnelly).

And by the way, Barber's assertions that the boycott is growing is wrong. At the very least, in my city, McDonalds continues to do excellent business.

In fact, I am beginning to think that maybe McDonalds manufactured this boycott to create a jump in business.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My guess is that 99% of the public doesn't even know that McDonalds is under a boycott. I haven't eaten at McDonalds in years, but I might have to find something on their menu that I can eat just so I can show them some support.

BlackTsunami said...

McDonalds could care less about the AFA's boycott and I don't blame them. At the McDonalds by my job, the lines were longer than usual at lunchtime.

If you are going to get something I suggest the vanilla shakes. lol

Unknown said...

Not, that I’ve not always considered the flavor sensation of McDonald’s French fries to be pro-gay and political based, but where’s the shrill rhetoric on Barbers’ part that all “Christians” who shop at McDonald’s will be arrested and detained for questioning on the spot!

I’m sorry, I’m just having a hard time even not taking him seriously anymore.

I’m officially in anti-gay rhetoric limbo.

P.S. If they tried truth for a change, they’d still get laughed at, they’d just get laughed at less.

BlackTsunami said...

Emproph,

DO NOT give those folks any ideas. LOL.

And you know as well as I do that it will be Janet Folger who will be pushing the "persecution of Christians at McDonalds" tactic.

I'm expecting her to claim that people who come to McDonalds with Bibles will be banned from the premises.

S. said...

"I'm expecting her to claim that people who come to McDonalds with Bibles will be banned from the premises."

That will never happen, they're just hallucinating.

Back in college, I briefly worked for a Taco Bell, in which the owner (who was literally crazy, AND pentecostal as you can get) ENCOURAGED customers to bring their bible into the store. On Sunday: bring a bible = 10% discount.

And I'm with you on MacDonald's not feeling any impact from the boycott, Alvin! There's at least 3 in my area, and it looks like business as usual to me. No empty parking lots, no empty drive-thru.

Since the boycott, I've picked up something from McD's at least 3 times already (luckily they now have more than just burgers and fries on the menu LOL).

Anonymous said...

What I would like to see is for him to try to boycott PG&E(Who gave even more money for the defeat of Proposition 8).

Unknown said...

“Emproph,

DO NOT give those folks any ideas. LOL.”


Hey, I’m just pointing out the fact that McDonalds no longer drops nuclear bombs on their “Christian” customers when ordering in the drive thru..
--
“What I would like to see is for him to try to boycott PG&E(Who gave even more money for the defeat of Proposition 8).”

Me too. But then technically, wouldn’t they also have to boycott everyone in the city who even uses electricity -- lest they be supporting supporters of the “gay agenda?”

Buffy said...

And the Oscar for "Best performance in a melodrama" goes to Matt Barber.

BlackTsunami said...

I'm still waiting for his column connecting Ronald McDonald and the Hamburgular to Proposition 8